Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Am Blessed

Once I posted the messy house pictures I got a little worried about letting everyone see them. A little 'photographer's remorse' set in. However, "Anonymous" wrote...

Our house is very clean now - and silent. Cleaner than its ever been. Our children are grown and we are stationed a continent from them.

I looked at your pictures with envy...

It put everything into perspective for me. It forced me to look at the pictures with a different set of eyes. Instead of the critical, self-examining vision that comes as such second nature to me, I had to see the mess through corrective lenses.

I have two healthy children who are active, smart, mess-makin' little people. They bring such joy and surprise to our lives. Veggie Boy is so smart, but we liken him to the little cloud of dust on the Peanuts cartoon. He is a bull in a china shop, Messy Marvin, etc. He dirties more clothes than any other person in our house and his heart is bigger than any other 9 yr old boy I know. He is very sensitive to the needs of others - bringing an extra jacket to school for the boy who doesn't have one, offering to be a partner to his classmate with whom no one would pair-up. These behaviors are normal to him. He is a natural born leader. All of this from the 3lb 15oz tiny baby we took home from the hospital 6 weeks before his due date. By all accounts he could be a special needs kiddo, instead God saw fit to bless us with his complete physical and intellectual health.

Saucy is such a princess and adores all things pink & sparkly. She meticulously selects her clothes and has such a distinct personality. She will "tell it like it is" to anyone who asks. (which is a clear reminder that to watch what we say around her :)) She is full of energy and seems to be a natural athlete. She is a good friend but is still definitely 5 when it comes to problem solving. She is our cuddle-bug and will brighten anyone's day with her beautiful smile.

The Coach loves football and is blessed enough to wake up each day and live his passion. Lots of people struggle just to find their passion and the reality of living may evade them forever, but not my man. He works 12 hour days in off-season and we don't even try to count the hours during football season. He misses a lot of life here at the house but we join him when we can. Fall Friday nights are the best. We're all decked out in orange and I have snacks and pom-poms shoved into my purse as we sit on the 50-yard line - about 6-8 rows up - and cheer our team on.

We are busy people. We are involved in our community, our church and the local schools. I may not always get to the laundry and the dishes may fill my sink, but Dear Stranger-Friends, I am blessed.

2 comments:

Ami said...

I'm teary-eyed just reading your description of your family. Such a loving family. We all need corrective lenses from time to time.

Anonymous said...

This comment & post made me catch my breath and try not to tear up. Thank you so much for sharing this.